Teach English in Sri Lanka
Are you looking to spend a few months abroad, possibly doing something beneficial for the world – but also for yourself? If that is you, then you found the right opportunity! (If you know someone else who is interested, please do forward this page!)
Boost Foundation is looking for a motivated, open-minded and communicative individual who would be eager to teach English to young kids in Sri Lanka. You will be assisting a school that does not have the financial means to support their staff full-time. Your undertaking will not only motivate the staff, but also the children and their parents to give education a chance. In short, your help will be of utmost value to all parties involved.
Ideally you would be in the final or penultimate year of your studies. If you are currently taking a break from your studies, that would be even better! During a semester of three months, as our volunteer, you will go through a life changing experience. On top of that, your efforts will offer these primary school children a much needed stepping stone for their education. Your stay in Sri Lanka will literally be a pleasant shock that will leave you with unprecedented life lessons.
Boost Foundation is an organization that is dedicated to make this world a better place. We select and boost humanitarian and environmental projects around the world that will help improve society.
What kind of qualities are we looking for?
- Loves children and working with teachers
- Loves sports, games and activities
- Speaks and writes English fluently
- Is motivated to (learn how to) teach
- Is willing to commit to a whole term abroad (3 months)
- Is willing to work 5 days a week from 09:00-14:30
- Respect the culture and house rules of the hosts (FutureCare)
- Share our values and are comfortable being a boost ambassador
- [ideally is on a gap year and wants to spend their time doing something new and useful.]
If you do not happen to be available, you can still help out! Please forward this opportunity to anyone who might be interested.
Costs & Benefits
Unlike the usual “voluntourism” agencies, Boost Foundation merely requires you to take on the basic costs. We do not aim to profit from your stay, nor does our local partner. Next to having to pay for your own plane ticket, below is an approximation of the expenses you will have to consider upon arrival in Sri Lanka.
Housing – Housing costs approx. 100 euro’s per month, for which you get:
- Accommodation in a house with a stunning mountain view.
- Your own room with a clean bed and bathroom.
- Laundry and cleaning service.
- 2 meals a day (breakfast & dinner) and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Wifi / an internet connection.
Transport – Multiple options for transport are possible, among which:
- Renting a three wheeler – about 6,00 euro’s per day. Approx. 1 hour commute.
- Renting a scooter – about 4.85 euro’s per day. Approx. 1 hour commute.
- Taking the bus – about 1.80 euro’s per day. Approx. 1.5/2 hours commute.
Please inform about the options so that the most current pricing can be looked up for you. Due to currency changes the daily rent pricing may differ from what is shown above.
By teaching English for 3 months in Sri Lanka you can:
- Provide education to strategically improve the lives of underprivileged children.
- Create more opportunities for them.
- Have a life changing experience and expand your horizon.
- Bring two worlds closer together with trust, friendship & integrity.